2021 I developed a new design of jam plugs for roller skates. Jam plugs are used by roller dancers instead of toe stops.
I found that there are no jam plugs on the market the right size for my needs. Which were deeper plugs for skaters on 62 mm wheels, with short plate and long toe on the boot, and with good toughness and the right friction. So I created my own, and used the project to learn about resin casting, which is something I have wanted to do since 2001 when I was at the RCA.
I went though a couple of iterations of the designs of the plugs, here is the 3D printed template before clean up next to a standard Powerdyne Jam plug.
I smoothed out the 3D printed templates, including using a die to refine the precision thread on the 3D print. (and for the skaters nerds that tool the right is a Shore A scale Durometer.)
Learning how to make a slicone molds with a vacuum pot (thank you Georgie).
Learning how to cast resin, with a pressure pot.
There was a lot of experimenting to find a resin with the best combination of strength, friction and wear resistance. and lots of fun product testing, by me and several other skate dancers in Bristol. 🙂
I learned about mould shrinkage the hard way, having made a 4 impression mould and 24 jam plugs that all had to go in the bin because the thread were too small. Doh!
July 2021 – I have made about 20 prototypes and have finalised the design, I’m calling this project done for the moment.